Monday 28 March 2011

My First Daring Baker's Challenge - Yeasted Coffee Cake

The first challenge I am doing is a Yeasted Meringue Coffee Cake...mmmm...bread, sweet stuff, hopefully gooey meringue filling. Sounds right up my alley.

Here's the recipe we were given.

I used the dough recipe above, with the addition of a pretty big spoonfull of vanilla bean paste to the milk.

Followed the recipe and kneaded the dough 'till it was sexy & elastic and then gave it a rest/rise in a warm spot on the front seat of Tim's van. (It got a bit hot there so I moved it inside to a sunny spot in front of the window)

These are the fillings I used:

Filling #1 - Fig, Walnut & Milk Chocolate with Dark Brown Sugar Meringue
Filling #2 - Mixed Berry & Apple with Standard Meringue

I wasn't too sure about the berry & apple filling - I thought it might turn out a bit soggy, but they both turned out great!

Here's a few pics of the process


I've never been really good at making bready things, but I was really happy with how these turned out.
I liked both fillings, but Hubby really liked the Apple & Berry filling the best.

I really enjoyed my first challenge, this recipe was a complete winner!

I think I might try this dough recipe out for making some sticky cinnamon scrolls next time :) hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment